Sunday, March 19, 2017

Day 10: First teaching practice



Tuesday, January 24 2017
I think myself as a special person. When all of my friends still busy with their teaching assistant, I must prepare myself to teach the students. And it feels like: OH MY GOD! I suddenly have to handle a 30-students-class and teaching about protein in front of the class. Furthermore, they are not Indonesian students and I must explain the material with my standard ability in English. NO, NO, NO!

That’s what I think at first. But when I start the class, my hands stop shaking. I am not that nervous anymore. The students are good, active, and diligent. Even though we have a communication problem, since they most likely don’t understand what I am saying, but they try hard to cooperate with me. They make me feel at ease.

My material today is biomolecule and my sub material is protein. I should teach it for 2 hours or 100 minutes. I use the method that usually use here, but I still start the lesson with apperception. I ask the students why there are people with straight hair and curly hair. After that, I explain about amino acids, peptide bond, and the structure of protein to the students. The number one problem is always about the language. Because my material mostly about theory and no math, students have problem to understand what I am saying. To trick that, I use power point presentation with more images and video rather than the long explanation. I explain while show them some pictures. It seems effective, but still hard to draw their attention for 100 minutes to my presentation only. Sometime I will ask the students who understand better to come to the front of the class. Then I let them explain the subject in Thailand language. So their friends can understand better. At the end of the lesson, I lead the class to make some conclusions of what they have learnt today. Then I give them task to read more about protein. It marks the end of the lesson today.

No comments:

Post a Comment